Frank Greet


Frank Greet, *1,2,3, born 01 Oct 1885 in Knightsville, Clay, Indiana; died 22 May 1967 in Worland, Washakie, Wyoming. He was the son of George Greet and Elizabeth Ann Reed. He married Edna Lucile Pyle 05 Feb 1913 in Big Trails, Washakie, Wyoming.


Notes for Frank Greet:

Note from The Douglas Family, Jan. 28, 1938.

On February 5th, 1913 Miss Edna Pyle and Frank Greet were married at the home of the brides parents Mr & Mrs Pyle of Big Trails. Reverend Campbell of Hyattville read the services. The bride wore a gown of grey silk. The bridesmaid Ethel Douglas, a neice of the groom, wore a gown of white all over embroider, who was the brides only attendent. Jas. (James) Pyle, brother of the bride acted as best man. After the services a lovely banquet was served to all the guests. Mr & Mrs Greet will make their home at the Greet Bros. ranch at Big Trails. On the following day the wedding party was on their way to the home of Mr & Mrs P O Fish for dinner when something happened to the buggy, and the horses driven by Wm. Douglas ran away with the front part of the buggy leaving the occupants stranded on the back part of the buggy. No one was hurt except Mrs Douglas, and she received a broken finger. The next day Mr & Mrs Greet went to their home at Big Trails.

NOW on Feb 5th, 1938 we send you our best wishes for another 25 years of happy married life, and only sorry we cannot be with you on this night for your silver wedding anniversary, but hoope this little gift will convey our best wishes and love.

The Douglas Family


RECOLLECTIONS OF THE SPRING CREEK RAID (as told by Frank Greet to Edna Greet, 1961)

In the spring of 1909 Fred and I were living on the Nowood, at the mouth of Spring Creek. Our father, George Greet, had homesteaded the ranch when we were about six year old. After his death in 1904, and our mother's death in 1906, our older brothers advised us to stay with the ranch and eventually build up a herd of cattle. So far we owned less than a dozen head, and they were of milk cow stock. Greet Brothers were as yet just the 'Greet boys', 23 years old and 'batching' by themselves.

We had a chance to sell the ranch to Porter Lamb of Lander, and buy a larger one from Joe Henry. It was a few miles farther up the creek, in what we considered a better location. By going in debt we closed the deal. On April 2nd Fred took a load of our belongings to our new home, where I had been staying a day or two, building a telephone line. Henry had been on the Red Bank line and I was hooking up to the Granger line. I went back to Spring Creek with Fred that evening. To our surprise we found there were two bands of sheep camped where the road crossed the creek just above our cabin. A sheep wagon and a buck board were with the band on the north side, and a sheep wagon and a supply wagon were with the band on the south side. Joe Emge, Joe Allemand and Joe Lazier were with the band nearest our cabin, on the north side of the creek.

Lamb and his brother-in-law, John Merrideth, had arrived with a load of their belongings, and had pitched a tent in the yard to sleep in. They had left Mrs. Lamb at Billy Goodrich's on Upper Canyon Creek until they could get the house in some sort of order. The story goes that Lamb had told Merrideth before they left Lander that he was moving into a real cattle country this time. When they came over the hill that evening and saw a sheep wagon on each side of the creek, Merrideth looked at Lamb a moment and then exclaimed, "And I thought you said this was a real cattle country!"

After the men in the wagon nearest us had finisher making camp, Emge brought their horses down to our barn, fed them some hay, and then turned them into the pasture. We told him that we would ask them to eat supper with us but for the fact that we were moving, and had taken all our grub to the other ranch except for barely enough for our own supper and breakfast. "Well," said Emge, "come up to the wagon and eat with us. We have plenty."

The idea of eating in a sheep wagon appealed to us, and we accepted the invitation. We loaded the last of out things into our wagon, ready to leave in the morning, and then we went over and ate supper with Emge, Allemand and Lazier, and visited with them for awhile. They told us that Bounce Helmer and a Frenchman named Pete Cafferal were with the other wagon. We might have stayed in the wagon with them longer, but felt that we should be with Lamb, so about eight-o'clock we went back over to the house. We talked for a while and then went to bed, Lamb and Merrideth in their tent, and Fred and I in the house.

I had not yet got to sleep when I heard a racket up at the camp, which I thought was coyotes. Now I think it might have been shooting. The dogs were barking, and presently the shooting started. The night was clear, with a bright moon, and the four of us got out of bed and lined up against the house in the shadows, and listened. That was 10 o'clock, or a little after. The rifle fire continued for about an hour, with no other sound except the barking of the dogs.

Then suddenly the wagons in both camps were ablaze, and I hear a voice shout - "Throw up your hands! Throw 'em up!" Then a shot. Fred and Merrideth saw a man walk over in the firelight and stand looking down for a moment, and then walk away. Lamb and I did not notice him.

About then we thought we heard horses running and a sound as though they might have run into a fence. We have wondered since if that was when the telephone wire was cut. We all stepped out away from the house in an effort to see the horses. Zing!! a bullet whined over our heads. The warning was enough. We hurried back into the house. Lamb remarked that a tent didn't afford much protection, and dragged his bed into the house.

We didn't do much sleeping the rest of the night, and were in no hurry to go outside next morning. The telephone was dead, so we knew the line had been cut. After breakfast we ventured over to the scene of the shooting.

The wagons in both camps were only smoldering ruins. In the north camp five dogs lay dead, and Fred remembers one little live pup lying beside the body of Allemand near the end of the wagon tongue. The tongue of the buckboard where it had been hooked to the sheep wagon was burned off. Otherwise the buckboard was unharmed. We stared at the gruesome sight for a while, and then for some reason I started to circle the ruins. Suddenly I saw a grinning skull in front of what had been the door of the wagon, and called the attention of the others to it. Then I saw another body near the middle, in front of the bed. I had to point both of them out to the others. The body at the doorway was identified later as that of Emge, by the gold teeth. He had evidently been lying in the doorway, with his rifle under his arm. The magazine in the rifle was empty, and there were empty shells on the ground.

At the other camp both wagons were burned, and perhaps thirty head of sheep were dead. Bounce and Pete were nowhere to be seen.

We found where the telephone wire had been cut, between the road and the house, and tied it together. Then we went to the house and called Walter Fiscus, who had the telephone office in Ten Sleep. We told him what had happened, and asked him to notify the authorities in Basin, the county seat. Sheriff Felix Alston and Prosecuting Attorney Percy Metz arrived at the ranch that evening with a team and buggy. They told us to bring the body of Allemand down to our house. We used the door to our cellar to lay him out on.

The news had got out, of course, and it seemed like everybody in the country came, out of curiosity to see the scene of the raid. Al Morton was living down the creek, about where Everett Cheney now lives, and Felix got him to come and take charge, and keep the crown at a little distance. Joe Allemand was shot in the left side, the bullet ranging a little upward through the body, and into the right elbow just under the skin, on the outside. The other two bodies were burned, except for the charred trunks. One smoldered all day. Allemand also had a shallow neck wound, and one report was that he had been nearly decapitated with a sharp instrument, such as a shovel. But Dr. Walker, who had been called to the scene from Hyattville, told me that although at first he thought it might have been a cut made by some instrument, after thinking it over he decided it was probably a freak bullet wound. It was in the side of the neck, clean-cut and deeper in the center.

When word of the raid got around, Mrs. Lamb up at Billy Goodrich's was wild to know if Porter were all right. When she had no word on the second day following the raid she got Billy to ride down and see. Herb Brink was staying there, so he went along. A light snow had fallen the night of the day after the raid, and when the sheriff saw Brink's footprints he recognized them as being the same as some around the wagons. It seems there was a crack across the sole of one boot. Bill Garrison was also staying at Goodrich's. He went over to the Post Office on the Brown ranch and stayed until quite late. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Henry were their also for a while. Ed Eaton was working for Joe Henry at the time.

Coffins were brought to the ranch, and the bodies place in them. Allemand had owned a place that later became part of the late Taylor Brother's Ranch. He left a wife and two children, one a small baby. The bodies were taken to the Allemand place for burial. Ruben Johnson drove the wagon that carried the body of Allemand, and I rode with him. Fred rode horseback, as did many of the men. A minister by the name of Sheppard preached the funeral sermon. The graves are near a little stream, a branch of Spring Creek.

March 11, 1964, letter from James Greet asking about Ten Sleep Raid, etc.

1 - who gathered up sheep next morning? Frank not sure, Chabot may have helped, and neighbors - perhaps Chatfield and Bert Arnold who was living on what is now the Fred Bader place. Pet Cafferal got on the stage on his way back to France that morning, but the authorities took him off, as he and Bounce were the star witnesses. They had him there at the Greet ranch for questioning a day or two after the raid, and Frank thinks perhaps he stayed at the Allemand place until after the spring trial. After that they sent Bounce to Oregon (Washington?) for safe keeping until the fall trial, and probably had Pete in hiding too. The story was that while Pete was at Allemand's he would stay out in the brush at night and come to the bunk house to sleep during the day. The bunk house is still standing.

Bear George McClellan was still on the ranch above Bigtrails, Coleman was on Canyon Creek and Joe Henry where we are. Jake Goodrich was across the Creek from where Salzman's house is now, and married to Bounce's mother (Aunt Ade). That is where Pete and Bounce headed when they were turned loose after the raid and told to keep going and not look back. The story is that they went up the creek as straight as they could, not bothering with the bends and took the yard gate off its hinges in their haste to get home to the house.

Clarence Waln and Bill Cook stayed at the HH (Frank Helmer's) the night of the raid - was going riding for horses.

Clyde Harvard was herding bulls on Otter Creek Vee for Keyes and Shaw.

Bert Arnold asked for buckboard to go to funeral. Spliced an end on the tongue.

We had our last load on the wagon, the evening of the 2nd of April, ready to leave in the morning - April 3rd but on account of the raid, we had to stay over a few days longer.

Shooting must have started between 10 and 10:30 p.m. Source: Edna Greet notes.

Notes on Spring Creek Raid from Uncle Fred & Aunt Dora Greet in letter to James Elmer Greet.

To answer your questions concerning "Ten Sleep & No Rest" by Jack Gage.

1. Joe Allemand's place is the upper place of the Taylor ranch. I believe Mary Taylor (Bob's sister) and her husband, Clifford Brubaker lived there when you knew the place. It was the David Taylor ranch in the days of Taylor Brothers. It still belongs to Mrs. David (Elizabeth) Taylor and her children. It is a pretty place. We had to go thru the yard to get to the place where the 3 Joe's are buried when the Monument was set up in their memory by the Joly Neighbor's Club. It was on upper Spring Creek.

Emge's place is the little place at the mouth of Spring Creek Canyon. It is just above the Waln place. Mack Andrews owns it now, as well as the Waln place. Arnold Waln sold it to Mack.

The two men were running sheep together, so they were on their way home to their ranches when the raid took place. Everyone liked Allemand but disliked Emge. The raiders knew Allemand went home that day after he pitched camp for the rest. He did go home, but he was uneasy about what might happen, so he went back to camp and got there in time for supper. That is how Allemand got caught and killed with the rest.

Emge came to the Greet place when Fred and Frank got home, and asked if he could put the horses in the pasture. The boys said "Yes," and "If we had more food we'd ask you to have supper with us. We are moving up to the Henry place, and expect to take our last load tomorrow. We have food enough only for our supper and breakfast." Emge said, "We have plenty of food, so, why don't you come and have supper with us?" So the five men, Fred & Frank and the 3 who were killed, had supper together.

In the meantime, Porter Lamb & his brother-in-law came with their first loads. so the boys hurried home to receive him. That is how there were 4 men at the Greet cabin that night.

The school teacher and the two cowboys that occupy such an important place in the story are all fictitious characters. They take up too much time in the story, when there were so many real characters who could have been worked in. They really were tiresome to me. But it is an "Historical Novel."

Joe Henry's second wife was Mrs. Johnnie Hopkin's widow, who was a Goodrich a sister of Bill and Bob Goodrich. Also a sister of Mrs. Charley Orchard.

The Greet family moved to the Spring Creek ranch in 1891. Grandpa Greet homesteaded it. They came from Red Lodge, Montana. Grandma Greet and Will stayed in Red Lodge until school closed so Fred & Frank could finish their school year. So they came to the new home in May, 1891.

Fred & Frank moved to the present Greet Ranch in April 1909. They were moving when the raid took place on April 2, 1909. Instead of going up with their last load the next day, they inspected the remains of the camp, patched the telephone wire (which the raiders had cut) and notified the authorities. They had to come in a spring wagon from Basin, so it was night before they got there, Fred cooked for them from food that was in the Allemand supply wagon. They were there several days inspecting and trying to figure out what had happened. Percy Metz and the Sheriff Austin from Basin were there and stayed with them.

Herb Brink, the man who did the killing had been working for Joe Henry, and his gun was found in his bed roll in the bunk house there on the present Greet Ranch.

The men had all agreed that there should be no killing. Brink was a wild "tough" guy, and he did the killing. He wanted to kill "Bounce" Helmer and the man with him, but one of the other men said, "If you kill them, I'll leave your carcass here on the prairie for the birds." So he didn't kill Bounce or the other man.

The officers did well to snoop around and arrest all the men who took part in the raid.

Jack Gage promised Fred and Frank that he would not use names of people who still had relatives living in the country. So he called Alexander Leander, and one or two similar deals so near right that he might as well have used the real names. End.


Husband and Wife (husband Frank Greet, wife Edna Lucile Pyle)

HUSBAND Frank Greet

Residence Bigtrails, Wyo. Removals to Ten Sleep, 1952

Date and Place of Birth Oct. 1st, 1885, in Knightsville, Indiana

Date and Place of Death and where Buried May 22, 1967 - buried Ten Sleep, Wyo.

Height 5 ft 8 Weight 165 Size Chest 40m Physical Defects none Health good

Complexion Fair Color Hair light brown Color Eyes blue .

Education grade school Politics Republican Religion Seventh Day Adventist



Frank Greet was born October I, 1885, at Knightsville, Indiana, to George and Elizabeth Ann Reed Greet.

When very young, his parents moved to Red Lodge, Montana, where Frank had his first year at school.

Early in 1891 the father and his eldest son, Ernest, moved to their homestead on Spring Creek, a branch of the Nowood River, seven miles south of where Ten Sleep, Wyoming, now is, and started the spring's work on their land, while the second brother, Will, and the mother remained at Red Lodge until the end of the school year so Frank and his twin brother, Fred, could finish their first year at school. They then joined their father and brother at their new home.

Here Frank and Fred rode horseback seven miles to the Upper Spring Creek, School, or attended school in the Buckmaster home on Otter Creek or stayed at the Mark Warner home on the Nowood, and attended school in a cabin on the Mike Lynch ranch east of the present town of Ten Sleep, depending upon the season of the year, and where they were having a term of school.

While Frank was a very young bay the community church at Ten Sleep, the first church building in the present Washakie county, was built; everyone helped according to his means and ability. The young boys and their parents all had a part in this building project, and all were very happy when the church was completed and all could attend services conducted by ministers of various faiths, who came to serve them at various times. The church was placed in the cemetery, and a lot was assigned to each family who assisted with the building of the church. A lot was assigned to the Greet family, and it is in this lot that Frank's remains will be placed today to rest until the resurrection day.

Their parents died while the boys were very young, but they carried on until the spring of 1909 when they sold their Spring Creek ranch and bought the 3 Circle ranch from Joe Henry. This ranch is about twelve miles further up the Nowood, and is known by the name "Double Crossing," a place where teams and wagons had to cross a bend in the creek in two places before they could go up country to the south. Here the twins lived and worked the rest of their lives, and added to the place as they could, until they had established the present Greet Brother's Ranch.

On February 5, 1913, Frank married Edna Pyle. The wedding took place at the Gus Coleman ranch on Upper Canyon Creek. It is now known as the Marple Ranch.

Life is full of joys and humor; one occasion of both concerned the marriage license. Since Frank was the first one to apply for a marriage license in the newly organized county of Washakie, the County clerk, Eddie Conant, did not charge Frank for the license. He said that any one brave enough to apply for a license during those critical times should not have to pay for the license. Frank often said, in a joking way, that he could not have gotten married if he had had to pay for that license.

Four sons and two daughters were born to this union. They are: George, Neil and John of Big Trails, who are now operating the Greet Brother's Ranch; James (Bill) of College Place, Washington; Marjorie, Mrs. Arthur L. Smith, of San Jose, California, and Mrs. Mary Jordon of Lander, Wyoming.

When the Seventh-day Adventist Church was established at Big Trails, the Greet family became active members, and when they moved to Ten Sleep in 1952, Mr. and Mrs. Greet transferred their membership to the Ten Sleep Seventh-day Adventist church. Frank enjoyed his church relations. He loved the Bible and the old religious songs. One of his favorite texts was Isaiah 41:10; which reads, "Fear though not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." On of his favorite songs was "Whispering Hope" which will be sung at this service.

Frank was very happy with his family, a good neighbor, always willing to help anyone who was in need of assistance, and a good citizen. He commanded the respect of all who knew him.

Frank passed away at 9:00 P.M. on Monday, May 22nd, 1967 at the Washakie County Memorial Hospital after five weeks of patient suffering.

Besides his wife and children, he is survived by his twin brother, Fred, of Worland, Wyoming, 18 grandchildren, 6 great grandchildren, and several nieces and a nephew.

Services were conducted by Pastor Richard Stenbakken at the Ten Sleep Seventh-day Adventist Church on Thursday afternoon, May 25, 1967 at two o'clock. Burial was in the Ten Sleep Community Cemetery, with Veile Mortuary in charge.


Notes for Edna Lucile Pyle

PYLE FAMILY, From Edna (Pyle) Greet

My great-grandfather on my father's side was a Dr. Ralph Pyle of New Orleans, Louisiana, but there is some reason to believe that he was originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was married to Rachel Shinn, who was born in New Jersey, off English Quaker parents, on October 5, 1794. My grandfather, Joseph G. Pyle, was born Sept. 8, 1812, in Philadelphia. On February 25, 1837 he was married to Catherine Long, of Ohio, where they were married. Dr. Pyle had died in New Orleans, on February 4, 1828. His widow moved to Pike County, Illinois, where the Shinns and Grandfather Pyle and brother David took up Homesteads.

Grandfather and Grandmother Pyle had ten children: Mary A., Rachel Celeste, Sarah C., James Warren, John D., Laurana, Maria E., George Rutledge, Edgar Parker, Martha Ann and May.

My father, Edgar Parker, married Mary Electa Hoback on October 30, 1880, in Griggsville, Illinois. They had eight children: Herbert, Leon, Edgar Rupert, Florence Laurana, Harvey Clifford, Joseph Bartley, May Rosamond, Edna Lucile, and James Harold. All but three died in infancy. My sister, Florence, married George Coleman in March, 1909. She was born on December 13, 1883, and died July 31, 1961. They had one son, Arthur Lauren, April 11, 1910.

I was born November 1, 1891, and was married to Frank Greet on February 5, 1913. Our children's birthdays are as follows: George Edgar, March 7, 1914, Margorie Elizabeth, April 11, 1917, James Elmer, July 10, 1918, Neil Franklin, April 12, 1928, Mary Laurana, July 22, 1929 and John Wilfred, December 24, 1930.

My brother, James H. Pyle was born January 27, 1896. He married Margaret Wyoma Hemery, December 23, 1928. They have one son Charles Edgar, born October, 1929.

On June 20, 1910, Edna Pyle was given a Second Class Certificate by the State of Wyoming, Department of Public Instruction for a period of two years on the basis of examination with the following grades: Orthography 81, Reading 83, Penmanship 88, Arithmetic 89, English Grammer 81, Geography 74, Civil Government U. S. 94, History and Constitution U. S. 63, Civil Government of Wyoming 77, Physiology and Hygiene 89, Rhetoric and Composition 78, and Theory and Practice of Teaching 85. Average grade 83 out of a basis grade of 100. This certificate was registered with the Big Horn County Superintendent, W. F. Brown, September 5, 1910.


Edna Lucile Pyle was born November 1, 1891, near Hull, Illinois to Edgar Parker Pyle and Mary Electa Hoback Pyle. She passed away at 10:20 P.M. Thursday, August 8, 1968 at the Washakie Memorial Hospital.

She is survived by her children; George, Neil, and John of Big Trails, Wyoming. James of College Place, Washington. Marjorie, Mrs. Arthur L. Smith of San Jose, California and Mrs. Mary Jordan of Lander, Wyoming. One brother, James H. Pyle of Big Trails, Wyoming, and also eighteen grandchildren, eight great grandchildren and two nephews. Her husband, Frank preceded her in death, May 22, 1967.

Her early years were spent in the vicinity of Valley City, Illinois. She attended high school at Griggsville, Illinois.

She came with her parents to Wyoming in March, 1908 and her father worked for Noble and Bragg on the Nowood ranch. Her mother ran the cook house. Her sister Florence taught the Nowood school until 1909, when she and George Coleman were married. They lived at the mouth of the Cornell Canyon above Nowood.

In the fall of 1910 they moved to their mountain homestead above Big Trails, where her brother James Pyle is now living.

Edna was married to Frank Greet on February 5, 1913, at the Coleman home, now the Marple ranch on upper Canyon Creek near Big Trails. Four sons and two daughters were born to this union.

Edna was a charter member of the Big Trails Seventh-day Adventist church and enjoyed taking an active part in church activities such as Dorcas. Edna and Frank transferred their membership to Ten Sleep when they moved there in 1952.

Through her love for outdoor life and things of nature she developed some comprehensive rock, fossil and plant collections. She collected fossil specimens from the Big Trails area for the Smithsonian Institute and Wards Natural Science Establishment.

She enjoyed sharing her interests with others and was always alert for information on the many hobbies she had.

All who knew her will remember her as a devoted mother and true friend.

Edna is buried next to her husband Frank Greet in the Ten Sleep Cemetery, Ten Sleep, Wyoming.

The Northern Wyoming Daily News --5, Saturday, August 10, 1968

Early Ten Sleep Resident Dies

Mrs. Edna Lucile Greet, 76, pioneer resident of the Bigtrails community, died Thursday in Washakie Memorial hospital here following a brief illness.

Funeral services will be conducted at 2 p.m. Monday in the Seventh-day Adventist church at Ten Sleep, with the Rev. Richard Stenbakken officiating. Burial will be in Ten Sleep cemetery. Vile mortuary is in charge of arrangements.

Mrs. Greet was born Nov. 1, 1891, in Griggsville, Ill., the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Pyle. She came to Upper Nowood in 1908 with her parents who were employed by Noble and Bragg Co. They later homesteaded at Bigtrails.

On Feb. 5, 1913, she was married to Frank Greet at Bigtrails. He died May 22, 1967, and Mrs. Greet had made her home in Ten Sleep.

Surviving are four sons, George, Neal and John Greet of Ten Sleep who are operating the Greet Bros. ranch, and James of College Park, Wash.; two daughters, Mrs. Arthur (Marjorie) Smith of San Jose, Calif., and Mrs. Mary Jordan of Lander; one brother, James H. Pyle, on the family homestead at Ten Sleep; 19 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.


Edna Greet Letter to Marjorie Smith Ten Sleep, Wyo.

July 22, 1951

Dear Sis and Marjorie:

Maybe if I play with the typewriter a while I can get some letters ready to go in the morning. Hope you don't mind. We are having quite changeable weather, with a few really warm days -- up in the nineties. Then we have a shower and it turns cool; quite cool some times. Had showers night before last and yesterday. Cloudy today, but no rain. The garden is finally growing pretty good. Are using peas and young beets and tops, and put about 8 quarts of spinach in the freezer Friday.

Wyoma had the Dorcas club up at her house last Thursday, after having to postpone it a couple of times, once because of rain, and next because it conflicted with a dental clinic being held in Worland for school children, for some kind of fluoride treatment. They have to take them again several times, I understand.

Marie and Geneva planned a surprise party for Bonnie and Mary, and all the other July birthdays. Then on Wednesday Mrs. Egbert came along and insisted on Marie driving her pick-up to Powder River for her. Marie's Aunt Zela lives there now. Marie went to Ten Sleep earlier in the week, intending to take her grandmother to see Zela, but she had gone with Zela to see a doctor in Columbus, Mont. This doctor has told her she had diabetes, so she is spending a few days with Zela until she gets so she can give herself the insulin. Zela was with her in her own car when they stopped in here for Marie, and could have taken her over and brought her back, but Mrs. E- wanted to take her pick-up and bring a load of something back, and didn't feel able to drive it herself. They were supposed to have been back today, but haven't seem them yet.

It rained quite hard yesterday morning, then the sun shone a while but toward evening the clouds came up again, and we didn't think any one would come to the party, but Emer Curtis and his family came from Worland, and then Archie and Pauline (Harvard) came. They brought Thelma (Waln, Pauline's sister) and Hazel (Wells ?) with them. Clayton and Alden (Curtis) had spent the night before up at Bert's, and they and Bert and Grace and Marion came, so with all of us and Geneva's company we had a nice little crowd, and had a good time. Earl and Zepha (Conner) had intended bringing ice-cream, and also Breedens. As it was we froze enough ice cubes in the freezer and the three refrigerators to make a hand freezer of cream. Also had cake, cookies and cool-ade.

Well, Earl came in, and by the time he left it was time to get supper, and now it is bedtime. He says it rained hard up there yesterday evening.

We got your letter this morning - Marjorie. John got it out of the P.O. last night. Hope you got the letter with your Navy letter in it, too.

Yes, Mary is still home. Mrs. Bonine got tired of waiting for her I guess, and got some-one else. Mrs. Faussett was wanting some-one, and Mary wants to go over sometime this week and see her. I would be happy to have her home the rest of the summer. We haven't got the front room painted yet. The moths have been rather bad, but are about gone now.

Next morning---- The Jolly Neighbors had their meeting at Godfreys last Wednesday, and I went with Marie. Grace Egbert (Brooks Egbert's daughter, married O'Neil) -- Whatever her name is now - and her husband and baby have been visiting with Brooks and Eula, and she had her movie camera at club and took a lot of pictures. They took a lot of pictures at our branding, and also at the rodeo the 4th. She showed them at club, and said they would show them and some others at the community hall in Ten Sleep the next evening for anyone who wanted to see them. We went, and there was a nice little crowd out. They had some good pictures, especially of the rodeo. Too many hurt. They got a perfect picture of the Furnicase boy's accident. The horse fell on him in such a way that he (the horse) couldn't get up, but just laid there until the men took hold of his legs and rolled him off of the boy. The last I heard was that he had never regained consciousness. They thought there was a blood clot on the brain, and were going to operate, but if he lives it is doubtful if he will be normal. Too bad.

You should have seen the kids here and their 'rodeo' yesterday afternoon. Geneva's nephews are (Frimml's) Jimmie, 12, Denny, 10, and Jerry, 5. They and Bonnie and Rodney and Jeannie were all out in the corral by the barn. Rodney and Denny took urns announcing, in the window above the barn door. The door was the chute gate. "Next if Bonnie Greet on Roan", and Bonnie would come out of the barn bouncing and fanning her horse, pretending he was bucking. Of course the most he could do was trot. Once they announced "Gene Autrey on Outlaw:. One of the boys was pick-up man and would try to take the rider off his horse. Usually the rider jumped off when he figured his horse was through bucking. When they got tired of that they had some trick horses. Bonnie had been practicing riding standing up. The first time I saw her one of the boys led the horse, but since then she holds the reins herself - just for a few steps of course. She put on that act, and then it was "Rodney Greet on Old Dutchie". The announcer would ask the horse questions and Rodney would get him to nod or shake his head. They had a lot of fun, and Mary and I watched and laughed. Jeannie was perched on top of the tallest gate post all the time, and Jerry was in the window with the announcer. They tear around on the horses all the time, and rope and ride the calves, so I never thought of being afraid they would get hurt. One thing makes me nervous - when Bonnie takes Jeannie on behind her when she is riding. Sometimes goes pretty fast, and Jeannie bounces so high, but she sure hangs on. She is so tiny. Oh, yes -- when they had enough rodeo they announced a picnic and then swimming, and they turned their horses loose and went home, laughing and yelling in best cowboy fashion.

Well, it is evening again, and supper is ready. John and George took a few head of cattle to the mountain this morning. Bonnie and Rodney had to go to Worland for another dental treatment, so Frank took them down to Breedens (neighbors about half way from the ranch to Ten Sleep) to go with their kids. Mary Denny takes a school but load from Ten Sleep, or at least she did last week. Geneva took the truck and some salt, and her family & Mary and went up this afternoon. After Bonnie and Rodney got home this evening they got on their horses and started out. Were going as far as Jim's (Pyle's) tonight, and on up in the morning. Will probably come down Wednesday morning, as they have to be in Worland again Wed. afternoon.

Marie got home last night. She and Neil both have bad colds, and I think Neil is going to Ten Sleep pretty soon for some medicine or something. Frank is ready for supper, so guess I'd better quite.

Am so glad you have good prospects of getting a house in Guam (Arthur Smith was in the US Navy and was stationed on Guam) soon, and hope you enjoy your stay there and keep well.

Take good care of yourself and children.

Lots of love-



Marriage Notes for Frank Greet and Edna Pyle:

Certificate of Marriage

I HEREBY CERTIFY, That on the 5th day of February A.D. 1913 in, Washakie Co., I joined in marriage Mr. Frank Greet of Bigtrails and Miss Edna L. Pyle of Bigtrails in presence of Fred Greet of Bigtrails, Wyoming, in presence of Ethel Douglas of Tensleep, Wyoming and in presence of Ernest Greet of Tensleep, Wyoming. IN WITNESS WHEREOF I have hereunto set my hand this 5th day of February A.D. 1913. Arthur B. Campbell, Clergyman.

The State of Wyoming, County of Washakie, Office of the County Clerk

Filed for Record on the 12th day of February, A.D. 1913, signed, E. M. Conant, County Clerk

More About Frank Greet and Edna Pyle:

Marriage: 05 Feb 1913, Big Trails, Washakie, Wyoming10

Marriage license: 01 Feb 1913, Mr. Frank Greet and Miss Edna L. Pyle, both of Washakie County, State of Wyoming, signed by E. M. Conant, County Clerk

Children of Frank Greet and Edna Pyle are:

i. George Edgar Greet, *10,11,12, born 07 Mar 1914 in Rochester, Olmstead, Minnesota12,13; married Geneva Marie Frimml, * 18 May 1938 in Ten Sleep, Washakie, Wyoming13; born 06 Feb 1917 in Liscomb, Marshall, Iowa14,15; died 06 Feb 2007 in Worland Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center, Worland, Wyoming.

Notes for George Edgar Greet, *:

News From Big Trails: The Worland Grit, No. 3, Jan. 2, 1914, page 5.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greet expect to leave in a few days for Rochester, Minn., Where Mrs. Greet will receive medical treatment.

Fred Greet spent a few days with his sister, Mrs. Will Douglas.

Oscar Hoback of Ten Sleep spent a few days with his nieces Mrs. Frank Greet and Mrs. G. A. Coleman.

Henry Bruner, of Big Trails, was a business visitor in Worland this week.

News From Big Trails: Northern Wyoming Daily News, Worland, Wyoming, 29 Nov. 1950

Frank Greet returned to Worland on Wednesday for further medical attention. His lung condition is now better, but he is having an attack of sciatic rheumatism which is giving him very much pain in his back and legs. Mrs. Greet is with him.

Mr. and Mrs. Bert Ainsworth were Thanksgiving guests to Mr. and Mrs. Earl Conner and family. Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Pile, Mrs. Arthur L. Smith and her three children, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Ainsworth and Marion Ainsworth.

Mr. and Mrs. George Greet and children entertained Mr. and Mrs. Thorne at a Thanksgiving dinner. Mrs. Thorne is the childrens's teacher.

Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Hoback of Ten Sleep enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Neil Greet.

Mrs. Frank Greet was a Thanksgiving dinner guest at the Worland home of Mr. and Mrs. Will Greet. Other guests were Mr. and Mrs. Fred Greet and Mr. and Mrs. James Greet, Bette and Jimmy. A tray dinner was taken to Frank Greet who was confined to his bed at that time.

Asked Dad, Thursday Jan. 27, 2011, at dinner about their wedding. He could not remember who the minister was but that it was the Methodist minister as the Adventist minister had not been ordained yet. Fred asked him if his name was Goff. He wasn't sure but maybe. He does not know where their wedding certificate is or if they had a wedding book. Floyd Hills stood up with him. He could not remember who Mom's bridesmaid was. Their was a small group of attendees, including his parents in Fred and Cora Conor's yard. The reception was planned by Dora at the ranch, but it rained and the only one to show up was Louis Cogdill on horseback. I didn't ask about the time. They took their honeymoon soon to Geneva's parents in Nebraska with Frank and Edna Greet's car. Evidently they felt the folks car was better than their own.

Here's Rev. Reginald F. Goff's obituary from the Northern Wyoming Daily News of Oct. 1, 1996, page 2, on which Bonnie wrote, "Married George & Geneva Greet, May 18, 1938.

Rev. Reginald F. Goff

TUCSON, Ariz. --- Former Worland resident Rev. Reginald F. Goff, 90, died on Monday, Sept. 23 in Tucson, Ariz.

He was born in Clarksburg, Ontario, Canada, on Dec. 7, 1905.

Upon graduating from Asbury College in Wilmore, Ky., Rev. Goff married his wife Verla and began a 27-year pastoral ministry in the Rocky Mountain Conference of the United Methodist Church. His service included a long pastorate in Tremonton, Utah, and 19 years as pastor of the Worland United Methodist Church, from 1944 through 1963.

He continued for an additional 23 years in ministry as leader of Prayer Life Seminars, as a retreat speaker, and in missionary work which took him to every state of the U.S., as well as Canada, Mexico, Africa, South America, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines, India and Pakistan. He was a popular speaker for Christian Ashrams, Camps Farthest Out, and various denominational churches.

He was the author of two books, "Prayer, An Exciting Adventure," and "Helps for Praying Christians."

He had been a Tucson resident since 1963.

Survivors include his wife; a son, James of Tuscon; a daughter, Ruth Penton of Mobile, Ala.; a granddaughter, Amy Goff; and numerous nieces and nephews in Canada.

The memorial service is scheduled for 1 p.m. today at the First United Methodist Church in Tucson, with Pastor David Devereaux and the Rev. James Long officiating. Private burial services will be held at Evergreen Cemetery in Tucson.

Memorials may be made to the Circle J Ranch in Ten Sleep.

Love, Dad, Bonnie and Fred



George Greet(Father of Frank and Fred Greet)

1839 – 1904


George Greet - Born in Cornwall, England

Elizabeth Ann Reed (WIFE OF George Greet) - Born in Plymouth, Devonshire, England.


Source: From Fred and Dora Greetís notes of their father/father-in-law George Greet and their mother/mother-n-law Elizabeth Ann Reed


George left Cornwall and went to the County of Durham for some few years.George then came to the U.S.A. and after some months the rest of the family came to the U.S.A. on the British Crown Steam Ship and landed at the port of Philadelphia, from there to Brazil, Indiana where father was at that time. In about two or two and a half years after arriving in this country Fred and Frank was born at Knightsville, Indiana. All the rest of us were born in Cornwall, England including one brother by the name Philip James who died in the county of Durham, England. Came to U.S.A. in October 1882.


Uncle Jack Reed (Mother's brother) lived in Canada. Had a son John about Ernest's age, and a daughter Elizabeth (Ann) about a few years older than the twins.


Mother's sister, Mary Jane Mills lived in London. Suddenly quit writing. It is supposed that she died.


     Annie (Reed) Brown came to U.S. to see the twins. Lived in Idaho where she died.

     Mother's mother became a widow and married John Pengelly.

     Mother was born at Devonport, England.

     Lizzie and Mary were born at St. Germans

     Ernest was born at St. Stephens.

     Will, Annie and Jimmie were born at Great Tau?, St, Martins

     They moved North to Houghten Le Spring, County of Durham where he (George) worked in the mines for the first time. Took ship from Liverpool to New York 1883

     Grandparents, Philip Greet and Ann Rogers

     Parents, George Greet and Elizabeth Ann Reed

     Jim not married

     Joe and Susanna (Richard , Jane Anne) probably their children.

     Mary Jane†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

     Stopped in Pennsylvania first, then Knightsville, Indiana, then Red Lodge, Montana, then Ten Sleep, Wyoming.


Source: From Fred and Dora Greets notes photographed by Fred Drake before Dora's death.


George Greetís eldest daughtersís death is reported Worland Newspaper 17 Jan 1958: