Arthur Loran Smith



Northern Wyoming Daily News, Worland, Wyoming, August 13, 2003, page. 2

LOMA LINDA, Calif. ---- Memorial services for former Ten Sleep resident Arthur Loran Smith, 86, will be held Saturday, Aug. 16 at 11 a.m. at the United Methodist Church in Ten Sleep.

Burial will follow the service in the Ten Sleep Cemetery with the Worland VFW and American Legion in charge of military services.

Art died Tuesday, July 29, 2003 in Loma Linda from complications of advanced Parkinson's disease.

Art was born April 15, 1917 in Dawson, Neb. to Arthur and Amanda Elizabeth (Richardson) Smith. He graduated from high school in Henry, Neb. in 1936.

He married Marjorie E. Greet on July 2, 1942 in San Francisco, Calif.

Art enlisted into the U.S. Navy where he worked in the radio and electronics field, retiring as a Chief Electronics Technician. He served in the military for 24 years and achieved the rank of Chief Warrant Officer 4. He retired in 1960.

He worked for Philco-Ford Corporation for 11 years. He then went to work as an electrician for Pacific Union College in Angwin, Calif. for six years.

The couple moved to Worland in 1979 where he owned and operated Art's Shoe Repair in (to) 1987. They continued to live in Ten Sleep until 2001 when they moved to Loma Linda.

Art was a member of the Ten Sleep Seventh-day Adventist Church. He also served on the Ten Sleep Town Council and cemetery board. His hobbies included HAM radios, photography and camping.

He was preceded in death by four sisters.

Art is survived by his wife, Marjorie E. Smith of Loma Linda; three sons, Ronald A. Smith of Tulare, Calif., Arthur L. Smith of Loma Linda and Kenneth F. Smith of Paradise, Calif.; one daughter, Lorinda B. Nash of Wheatland; one brother, Robert W. Smith of Shawnee, Kansas; 14 grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Memorial donations may be made to the Ten Sleep Senior Center.

Bryant Funeral Home in Worland is in charge of arrangements.


Arthur Loren Smith  - A LIFE THAT WAS.

August 221, 2003. Peaceful greetings to Tom & Linda

From Alan and Lorinda in Wheatland, Wyoming.

Here is your personal copy of the presentation on Lorinda's Dad as delivered at his memorial service in Ten Sleep. The material which Alan mentioned as being edited out, so as not to overly extend this presentation, is alas largely shredded in our son, Nathan's study at Gatineau, Province of Quebec. Here, during our vacation the following was formulated using memoirs e-mailed to us. What follows has been proof read for punctuation mishaps which at first were numerous since the keyboard used was for typing texts in French.


These paragraphs were prepared from information supplied to the writer, Pastor J. Alan Nash by the wife and four children of the deceased. 08-16-2003

At this time we look back over the lifetime of Arthur Loran Smith. He entered our world on April 15, 1917. It was a Sunday, the first day of the week. Thus began his life in the tiny township of Dawson, Nebraska 60 miles south of Omaha and not far from the Big Namaha River. Arthur was the first boy in a family of four daughters. Eventually a second boy would be born. Family recollections tell us that the young Arthur lived only a short time in Dawson. The family relocated urged on by his mother, Amanda who reckoned that his father (Arthur, Sr.) should relocate for the benefits of improved employment. This family like thousands of others became victims of that awesome, political, financial mismanagement known as, The Great Depression.

Sometime in 1931 when Arthur was 14 he was invited by his oldest sister, Hazel and husband, Bob Cleveland to live with them at Henry, Nebraska. The Cleveland dwelling was an apartment above the Henry passenger train depot made available to Bob as an employee of the Burlington, Quincy & Ohio Railroad. Young Arthur attended Henry High School where he studied with distinction. Thus he became part of the 1936 graduation class wherein he is listed as second from the top. Total students in this graduation class totaled two. Number one graduate was a young lady named Wilder Vandevere who renewed acquaintance with Arthur during 1997 when he was in Wheatland visiting with his daughter, Lorinda. Arthur's graduation from Henry High School earned him the offer of a scholarship to Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa. Drake is a fully accredited school where Arthur was in line to study for its degree in business administration. However, he chose not to accept this scholarship. Thus he set in motion a chain of events which, many years later, brought him to Ten Sleep, Wyoming.

On June 13, 1936 he enlisted in the US Navy. At this time tow of the nation's training stations were already closed for economic reasons. The remaining training station was located at San Diego, California. When Arthur arrived, the new-recruit training total was 370 men per month. In 1938 on June 20 a new classroom building was opened under the name, Electrical Ordinance School. A 16 week course provided instruction of the kind which equipped Arthur as a radio operator. In due time the young Arthur was assigned as a seaman and radio operator to his first sea-going vessel, the USS Louisville. It had been launched September 1, 1930 at Puget Sound Navy Yards, Washington. Records tell us that young Arthur was one of its crew when, in 1938, it began a long Pacific cruise which took the ship to Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Australia an New Zealand. Whilst in Sidney, Australia the Louisville crew rescued passengers from a sighseeing ferry boat which capsized in the harbor. Arthur's stay in Sidney resulted in his being invited as a guest at the home of a local family whose hospitality he long remembered.

During 1940 Seaman, Arthur L. Smith, was assigned to the USS California based at Pearl Harbor. By now the vessel was 21 years old and had served first as flagship of the Pacific Fleet then as Flagship of the Battle Fleet. On December 7, 1941, the ship was moored at the southernmost berth of Battleship Row about to undergo a material inspection since its watertight integrity was not at its maximum. At this very time, the Japanese air force launched its unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbor. The USS California was hit. Below decks a bomb exploded setting off an ammunition magazine. A second bomb ruptured a bow plate. The inrushing water could not be isolated. The California sank with only her superstructure remaining above the surface. When the aggression ended, 98 of its crew were lost and 61 wounded including seaman, Arthur L. Smith. By this time Arthur had been promoted to radio supervisor. The California was refloated and fitted for service commencing on June 7, 1942.

We focus next on the year 1940 at which time young Arthur was in Long Beach, California visiting his older sister, Violet then married to John O'Neal who worked in construction. Arthur had met John O'Neal about ten years earlier in Idaho. On a fortuitous day in 1940 at Long Beach John introduced Arthur to an attractive, adventurous young nursing student named Margorie Greet. Marjorie was completing her nurses training at Glendale Adventist Sanitarium. Her growing up years were in Big Trails, Wyoming where she had known John and Violet O'Neal. A fragment of the Big Trails community is currently preserved at the Ten Sleep museum. It's the old one-room school house.

On July 2, 1942 in the City Temple, San Fransisco Arthur Loran Smith was wed to Marjorie Elizabeth Greet, the second of six children born to Frank Greet and Edna (Pyle) Greet of Big Trails. The newly weds honeymooned in the Fielding Hotel downtown San Francisco. Marjorie's friends and nursing instructors, upon hearing about her marriage, exclaimed, "What, you married a sailor!" Within two or three days of the honeymoon Arthur was summoned back to sea at which time Marjorie resumed her employment as a staff nurse at the Glendale Adventist Sanitarium. Arthur's Navy pay for 1942 totaled, $2416.78 or about $201.00 per month. By this time he held the rank of Petty Officer and would thereafter be commissioned as an Ensign (Warrant Officer.)

In the post war era Arthur's Navy career continued. During those years his assignments took him to numerous places in the Pacific including Kwajalein, Hawaii and Guam. In 1956 he participated in Operation Red Wing. As such he was numbered amongst the witnesses who watched the explosion of an atomic bomb on the Pacific atoll known as Bikini.

During June 1960 Arthur retired from the Navy at Waukegan, Illinois on Lake Michigan. By this time the Smith family included four children. Ronald A. Smith (1944, Takoma, WA); Arthur Leroy (1945, Worland, WY); Lorinda Beth (1946, Boulder, CO); Kenneth Frank (1952, Guam, Marianna Islands.)

Three months after Arthur retired from the Navy he was hired by Ford Philco as a project engineer. In this capacity he found himself as various military radar locations working on facility installation design. This employment required the Smith family to make a home on the northern coast of Maine where winters afflicted the populace with swirling sea mists, blowing snow and bitter cold. Ford-Philco subsequently assigned Arthur to projects in Iceland and the Philippines. During June 1972, Ford-Philco laid off many employees including Arthur who by this time was in San Jose, CA. Whilst living here he underwent Christian baptism and was accepted into the fellowship of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. After Ford-Philco he was hired as an electrician at Pacific Union College, Angwin, CA. In this work he remained until 1979. Also during these years Arthur benefited from a cardiac bypass surgery which was repeated in 1992 at Billings, MT. Thus we see in action the benefits of medical science sweetened by God's grace, adding many more years to a wonderfully full life.

After leaving Pacific Union College in 1979 Arthur and Marjorie arrived in Ten Sleep, WY with plans for retirement. Instead Arthur purchased a shoe repair store in Worland, WY. His first employee was Marjorie and together they gave birth to Art's Shoe Repair. It flourished as only customer oriented businesses do. Then when both he and Marjorie were age 70 they sold the shop, removed the store sign and preserved it at home. By this time Arthur had been diagnosed with the strength-destroying affliction called, Parkinson's Disease. In this matter his son Leroy has most movingly written:

"As the months brought the inevitable ever closer. Dad was NEVER comfortable or content with his limitations and was continually trying to "go places" either by plane, car or even walking. He continued to worry about his kids from time to time and was able to enjoy his family almost till the very end."

Those who have interacted with Arthur Smith have been blessed by his unselfish, unassuming character. It rubbed off an uplifting, energizing presence of unconditional love and unconditional support especially recalled by his wife and children. These character traits were his special gifts which left us believing anew in the saying, "the rainbows of life follow the storm." Like St. Augustine, Arthur Loran Smith upheld the ideal which says, "If we live good lives the times are also good. As we are, such are the times." For Arthur, living a good life also meant living out a sound ethical code whereby he applied the New Testament principle recorded in Romans chapter 12: "Outdo one another in showing honor." This is the stuff which uplifts primacy of the individual over primacy of institution including ecclesiastical institution. We who survive Arthur also realize that like ourselves he manifest shortcomings.

However, Arthur firmly believed in salvation by faith through grace. The author of this salvation is Jesus Christ Who already has fully and unconditionally erased any record of Arthur's shortcomings. This means that Arthur can stand before his God altogether perfect.

Arthur Loran Smith is predeceased by his father, mother and four older sisters. He is survived by a younger brother, Robert. Especially, he is survived by His beloved wife of 61 years, Marjorie Elizabeth; his three sons: Ronald (KayLynn), Leroy (Janis), Kennith (Lanelle), and one daughter, Lorinda (Alan). Then there are his 14 devoted grandchildren" Michele, Ronnie, Lacy, Reuben, Kristen, Loren, Laura, Darcy, Cody, Nathan, Raydene, Marco, Kendell and Angela. Also, Arthur is survived by a total of nine great grandchildren. Finally we mention numerous surviving nieces and nephews.

We have been remembering a man who lived life to its fullest, appreciated its finer things and is now taken from us in death until the resurrection to life eternal. A magnificent awakening anticipated in a poem penned by an unknown 19th-century poet who wrote:

We may sleep but not forever

There will be a gracious dawn

We shall meet to part never

On the resurrection morn.

Text: Pastor J. Alan Nash, 103 13th Street, Wheatland, WY 82201 Tel: 1307 322 4170 Member: Wyoming Writers Inc. 8/29/03



Marriage Notes for Marjorie Greet and Arthur Smith:

Tuesday, August 4, 1942 - SOCIETY page

Margorie Greet And Arthur Smith Wed

BIG TRAILS --- (Special) --- Announcements have been received of the marriage at San Francisco on July second, of Marjorie Elizabeth Greet and Arthur L. Smith.

The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greet and grew up in this community. She is a graduate of Campion Academy, at Loveland, Colo., and of the Nurse's Training school at the Sanatorium at Glendale, Cal. She is a registered nurse, and has done some work at the Sanatarium since her graduation.

The groom is the son of Mrs. and Mrs. Arthur Smith, and is a graduate of Worland high school. He is in the service of Uncle Sam, in the United States Navy.

He was wounded at Pearl Harbor, but has been back on duty for some time.

The happy young couple are honeymooning at San Francisco during Arthur's leave of absence.

The many friends of these young people wish them many years of happy married life.

SOURCE: Newspaper clipping in Edna Greets scrapbook in possession of George Greet in 2012.

Worland Brothers Are Reunited In Uncle Sam's Navy

The war brought about a family reunion for Robert and Arthur Smith, sons of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Smith of Worland.

Robert joined the navy in July and was sent to Pearl Harbor. There he found his brother, Arthur in the navy seven years and is a radio chief. His brother also decided to study radio. They are trying to be assigned to the same ship.

SOURCE: Newspaper clipping in Edna Greets scrapbook in possession of George Greet in 2012.


On Wednesday afternoon, Mrs. W. A. Waldo assisted by Mrs. Geo. Greet entertained at a very lovely shower in honor of Mrs. Arthur L. Smith, nee Miss Marjorie Greet. the ladies were invited to the shady lawn at the Waldo home, where the entertainment took on the form of a battle. When the afternoon was well along, a miniature battleship, with all its guns appeared, and it was found to contain a lovely assortment of gifts for the bride. In the absence of Mrs. Smith, her mother, Mrs. Frank Greet, was invited to unwrap the gifts and display them. A very delightful fruit salad with lemon-lime cool ade was served.

The many friends of Allen Egbert [son of John Egbert, buried in Ten Sleep Cemetery] gathered at the Marion Ainsworth home on Wednesday evening to honor him before he goes into the army. Croquet by the light of the car lights was the pastime. Ice cream and cake were served at this special occasion. Allen had been a stead hand at the Greet ranch during the past year and a half, and will be missed very much at this ranch as well as by friends he has made in this community.

SOURCE: Newspaper clipping in Edna Greets scrapbook in possession of George Greet in 2012.

Mr. A. L Smith arrived on Sunday to visit at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Greet. Mrs. Smith, who is a nurse at Glendale, California, is recuperating after an operation for appendicitis, and will stay at home until she is ready to work again. Mr. Smith is somewhere in the Pacific, in the U. S. Navy. Dec. 20, 1942.

SOURCE: Newspaper clipping in Edna Greets scrapbook in possession of George Greet in 2012.

Saturday, June 2, 1945


Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Smith of Worland are the parents of a boy [Arthur Leroy Smith] born Friday morning, June 1, in the Worland hospital.

SOURCE: Newspaper clipping in Edna Greets scrapbook in possession of George Greet in 2012.